Concept Development & Submission
Atlanta WIHS Concept Development & Submission Process
Atlanta WIHS welcomes scientific proposals from investigators at Emory as well as other institutions. If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please read the information below which outlines concept sheet (CS) development resources and the specific steps involved in concept submission. Please, note that all Atlanta WIHS concept submission should be done through this website and must follow the process described below. Emory-approved concept sheets will then be forwarded to the national WIHS for review and approval. For a roadmap of Atlanta WIHS CS Development & Submission Process, download the Flow Chart, which describes the key steps: Atlanta WIHS CS Development & Submission Flowchart.
Prior to Concept Development/Submission:
- Get familiar with WIHS study and resources.
- Browse Investigator Information page on the national WIHS website: http://statepi.jhsph.edu/wihs/wordpress/investigator-how-tos/. You will find searchable database of WIHS publications, lay language summaries of WIHS studies, and WIHS data collection forms.
-Schedule Atlanta WIHS orientation training, which will provide an overview of WIHS data, resources, and processes. To schedule training, send an email To: email@example.com; Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject: Atlanta WIHS orientation.
- Gain access to the national WIHS admin website -- it contains information on existing WIHS data as well as the new studies that are currently being proposed/developed.
-To obtain login and password for WIHS admin website and forum, click here
- Make sure that your proposal does not overlap with existing or proposed studies by other WIHS scientists and collaborators.
-To search through approved WIHS concept sheets, please follow the link (you will be asked to log into the WIHS admin website): https://statepi.jhsph.edu/wihs/admin/concept-sheet-search/
-To search through currently reviewed WIHS concepts, please search WIHS forum by clicking the link: https://statepiaps6.jhsph.edu/WIHS_forum/forumdisplay.php?3-Concept-Sheets
-If you identify areas of potential overlap, please seek further guidance from the WIHS team: please, email Atlanta WIHS Project Director, Antonina Foster, at email@example.com and/or Atlanta WIHS Data Manager, Anna Rubtsova, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure that the data/specimens you plan to request for your study are available in WIHS. Read the following presentation about how to find information about past WIHS measures and data collection forms on WIHS website: WIHS data sources by Anna Rubtsova. If you have questions about data availability, please email Atlanta WIHS Data Manager, Anna Rubtsova at email@example.com.
- Make sure that your proposed new data collection is feasible. If you plan to suggest new data collection in Atlanta WIHS or in multiple WIHS sites (rather than using existing data or specimens), check the feasibility of your proposal by emailing Atlanta WIHS Project Director, Antonina Foster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obtain the latest version of the WIHS Concept Sheet form used for proposals submission. To download the form, please follow the link: http://statepi.jhsph.edu/wihs/wordpress/cs_sub_form_110216-2/.
- Write your proposal, using the WIHS concept sheet form. Click here for the form.
Concept Sheet Submission:
Please, note that all Emory-affiliated investigators as well as external investigators who consulted with Emory WIHS in their concept development process must submit their concept sheets through Atlanta WIHS. To submit your new or revised WIHS concept, please, do the following:
-To submit your newly developed or revised concept sheet to Atlanta WIHS team for review, please follow this link:
-Alternatively (if the above submission button does not work), send your CS in an email with the following addresses and subject lines: To: email@example.com, Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject: WIHS concept sheet submission
Concept Sheet Review and Approval Process
- After you submit your new or revised CS to Atlanta WIHS as described in the section “Concept Sheet Submission,” your concept sheet will first be reviewed at Emory University by Atlanta WIHS PIs (Dr. Igho Ofotokun and Dr. Gina Wingood), Project Director (Mrs. Antonina Foster), Data Manager (Dr. Anna Rubtsova), Biostatistician (Dr. Christina Mehta), and Regulatory Coordinator (Dr. Rachael Farah-Abraham), and Lab Manager (Dr. Kehmia Titanji). The Atlanta WIHS review will take up to two weeks. As a result of Atlanta WIHS review, two outcomes are possible:
- Your concept needs revision. In this case, your concept will be emailed to you along with our comments. Please, revise your concept sheet and resubmit it as described in the section “Concept Sheet Submission” above.
- Your concept is pre-approved and forwarded to the national WIHS. In this case, Atlanta WIHS Project Director will forward your concept sheet to the national WIHS for review and approval and will send you an email notification that your concept sheet has been submitted to the national WIHS.
- After Atlanta WIHS pre-approved your CS and forwarded it to the national WIHS, it will be reviewed by the national WIHS Executive Commitee (EC) within two weeks. As a result of this review, two outcomes are possible:
- Your concept needs revision. You will receive an email from the national WIHS, letting you know that your concept sheet was not approved based on the reviewers’ comments. Please, revise your concept sheet and resubmit it to Atlanta WIHS as described in the section “Concept Sheet Submission.” It will go through another review process at Emory and will be again forwarded to the national WIHS, if satisfactory.
- Your concept is approved. You will receive an email notification from WIHS Data Management and Analysis Center (WDMAC) that your concept sheet has been approved and assigned a readme #. For the description of the process after your concept sheet has been approved, please follow this link: Atlanta WIHS Approved CS Implementation Process document and Flow Chart.